The Well House
beautiful retreat roundhouse in Cornwall
The Well House is the perfect place for your retreat. It is an earthy straw bale and cob roundhouse with touches of beauty, lightness, and ingenuity. Set in the beautiful vegetable gardens, offering happy fruit, veg and flowers, with fabulous views of distant countryside to Mounts Bay and beyond...
This cosy, warm space has everything you need to make your retreat homely - with comfortable bed and futons, sheepskins and a wood burner to keep you toasty in the evenings, allowing you to just lie back, relax and soak up the peace, tranquility and natural beauty.
Those of us living at The Living Well Centre are living with the question of what it is to live more consciously? We share this journey with you and open the space for you to join us in living in a more mindful, loving way.
All guests are asked to bring their own bed linen and clean their rooms mindfully and lovingly when they leave for the next guest to enjoy...
Please make bookings using
The Well House
- Sleeps up to 5 people
- 1 double, 3 single futons
- Midweek – Mon-Fri ( 4 nights)
- Weekend Fri – Mon ( 3 nights)
- Check in is 4pm / Check out is 10am
- 2-ring electric burner with oven
- Cool box with access to cool blocks from freezer
- Washing up area (covered)
- All crockery, cups and cutlery, pots and pans provided
- Electric kettle and toaster
Washing & Bedding
- Shared inside showers a short walk away
- Your own luxury ‘tree bog’ compost toilets very near by.
- Please bring your own bed linen (duvets and pillows provided)
- Please bring towels
- Cosy Wood burner inside - small basket of logs provided, please bring or buy extra wood
- There is electric lighting but please bring a torch for evenings/night
- There are plug sockets in the roundhouse for guests use
- Therapeutic massage, healing, homeopathy sessions can be booked on request – please see Treatments section herefor further details
- Bush craft, Green Woodworking and other workshops frequently take place at The Living Well Centre – check out our events calendar here
- Cards, books and board games provided
- Please note occasionally the woodland is used exclusively for workshops only and not accessible by guests- apologies for any inconvenience.
- Pets cannot be accommodated at Living Well Centre – mainly for the sake of our wildlife.
- There are ponds and a walk down water well, bee-hives with honey bees on site.
The Well house built in April 2012 as a workshop with Tony Wrench and 20 others. The walls are local strawbales, covered in a limewashed earth plaster. We discovered that we had to lime render the outside as the limewash alone was insufficient to keep the weather out! The inside has been painted with earth pigment.
The roof is constructed in the same way as the Hobbit House, however we finished it with earth that had been under black plastic for a year (to kill off couch grass) and then sown with a “bee fodder” seed mix - plants specifically grown to provide food for bees (as bees are struggling all over the country and are incredibly important, not only in the ecosystem, but according to DEFRA their pollination of agricultural crops in this country is worth over £200 million annually!)
The floorboards are made from milling our friend Duncan's Grandfather's trunks, and sealed using natural Osmo Polyx oil.
Building our roundhouses our ambition has been to create beautiful organic, living structures with personality and a homely, friendly feel- like being in an “Earth hug”, that are as environmentally benign as possible, thus we have used as much local, recycled, reclaimed and organic material as possible. Excluding the plastic roof membranes and perspex dome roof lights, the biggest environmental cost has been the diesel required for transportation. The houses have very low carbon footprints helped further by their living roofs, and the Well house in particular, by using straw (an annual local crop that locks carbon from the atmosphere and hasn't been transported very far) is arguably carbon negative!